Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2006, 05:12 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Furnace Heat Deflector by Malcolm

I have Malcolm's ok to re-post his Furnace Heat Deflector photos here

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:57 AM   #2
Bronze Member

That looks like it will work really well for the Versatile model Roadtrek, however my Independent model has the tub/shower jutting into the aisle right where the warm air terminates.
I looked at mine today and decided to cut a return air register in the aisle tub surround facing the front of the van and then cut corresponding size holes under the bed support cabinets back to the furnace. I appears to have enough space for the volumn of air needed. I'll have to block off the former return air path so the furnace fan will now draw the unheated air from the middle of the van. The problem with the factory setup is that when the rear bed is made up, the furnace draws the unheated air from the same place as the heated air is sent resulting in a hot spot under the bed in a short cycle and letting whatever heat convects out of that area heat the rest of the van. I'll take before and after pics to share, although I don't hear of too many Independent models around that might need this info.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:57 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Definitely post your project details and photos if you can. You never know who it will help.

Is this what your shower / tub looks like?

Is your Roadtrek Independent a 190 or a 210?

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Yup, looks exactly like mine except for the nice stack of towels on the shelf. I have the 190 Independent which I am happy about most of the time, but sometimes I wish I had the 210. I did make a bed extention that fits in the aisle and over the tub/shower that allows us to sleep front to back without bumping head and feet. That is another reason why I really need to re-do the furnace airflow, because I have more hot area back there with the bed extention.