Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2006, 08:51 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Tripp Lite Inverter/Charger - How to make a remote switch

The 2004 and 2005 Roadtreks have a built in Tripp Lite RV612UL Inverter/Charger. The specs are: 12/110V, 600W, w/3 step 45 amp charger. It supplies up to 600 watts of continuous power and up to 1200 watts of peak surge power.

It is very important to turn the inverter off when not using it to conserve your battery as it draws more than 1 amp when turned on and not being used. The inverter has a 3 position switch: auto-remote/off/charge only.

I used to leave mine on ‘Charge only’ so that my batteries charge when I’m on AC power. The switch on the inverter is small and the inverter is located under the bed. I use the inverter mainly to watch DVD’s. Invariably, when we want to turn the inverter off it is late; one of us might be sleeping so fumbling around under the bed in low lighting to turn off the inverter is a nuisance.

Tripp Lite sell an APSRM4 remote switch - msrp $149.00 It has indicator lights etc. I have seen it at around $100 but it still seems expensive to me.

I built my own simple remote switch for around $6. I have tested it and it works for me. I haven’t decided where to put it yet. Here's how I made it:

First I suggest you familiarize yourself with how the led’s on the inverter change when the inverter is on charge only or auto/remote so that you’ll know if your remote switch is working.

The remote switch plugs into the RJ45 jack on the Inverter. I used a piece of network cable with a RJ45 plug on one end and a simple on/off switch on the other end. Only the wires from pins one and seven are used. Shorting pins one and seven switches the unit from Inverter to Charge only. There are six other wires in the network cable, I took care to cut them at different lengths and covered them with electrical tape so they won’t short out.

You end up with piece of network cable with a RJ45 plug on one end with the wires from pin one and pin seven (from RJ45 plug) connected to a simple on/off switch on the other end. Turn the inverter off when you first plug in the switch then move the switch to the auto-remote position. The switch on the inverter has to be set to auto-remote for your new remote switch to work.

You can now mount this switch in a more convenient place than under the bed.

This picture shows how to locate pin one on the RJ45 plug:

This will work on all Tripp Lite Inverter/Chargers that list their APSRM4 as an option.

Using the remote switch gives you two options: 1. auto (on) & 2. charge only. The charge only setting doesn't draw any current when you are not connected to grid (shore) power.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I consider this one of the best modifications that I made to my Roadtrek.

I am curious to know if anyone has done this. Post a reply if you have.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Default Re: Tripp Lite Inverter/Charger - How to make a remote switch

After being on the road for about seven months I finally added a remote switch to the inverter. Thanks for the how to post, I've had it bookmarked for over a year but never got around to doing it when I built my van. I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. No longer will I have to lift up the hatch and turn on the inverter in the morning when I make coffee. Bliss.
K-mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Good for you! There are a lot of such things we can solve with a little bit of thinking that sure beat after-market prices. My whole van setup is a tribute to that, I like to think. Especially at the price of a new or newer commercial setup when one is on fixed income and savings alone.

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The Adventurous has a remote inverter switch on the control panel above the side door -- as a result, there is already a plug in the TrippLite's remote port. I find that I occasionally want to turn the inverter on while driving (when recharging laptop battery) and so would like a remote switch on the dash. Is there such a thing as a parallel connection for the RJ45 jack?

Thanks,

Dan F.
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:52 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I can't think of any reason why two switches wouldn't work. To turn the inverter on you are shorting pins 1 & 7.

There are types of RJ45 splitters available. You'd need the type that will have a warning on it like: Only one connection can be used at a time or not intended for simultaneous use because you are not using it for networking.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0360988698

You'd need a short piece of Cat 5 cable from the inverter to the splitter. Then the existing RJ45 connector plugs into one of the dual ports and your new switch into the other.

You'd need pins 1 & 7 on both connectors. Some RJ45 splitters are meant to be used for a voip phone and a computer at the same time. That type wouldn't work because pins 1 & 7 are not wired on both jacks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg splitter.jpg (12.0 KB, 8296 views)
File Type: jpg rj45-pinout.JPG (9.7 KB, 8295 views)
Old 09-10-2009, 01:58 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Yep, that's what I was looking for. I had seen those splitters for phone lines, but not for Cat 5. Looks like a quick fix; just have to route the new cable underneath and up to the dash and away we go. Much better than stopping, going around to open the side door and throwing the existing inverter switch.

Thanks,
Dan F.
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #8

I'm interested in making one of these switches, but would like to view the photos mentioned. For some reason I'm not able to get to them. Any help Mark?
tman1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:10 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Some photos require that you are logged in first.

Sometimes the links get broken. I fixed one of them. You should see them now as long as you are logged in.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:50 AM   #10

Thank You, I can view the pictures now when logged in. I'm going to give this a try and will post a reply has to how it goes.
tman1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:38 AM   #11
Bronze Member

I was very interested in doing this mod for the remote inverter switch (thanks markopolo), but I realize that my 2006 RT 210 already has an inverter switch by the entrance door close to the main panel. It's cold outside with snow and ice so I haven't enough muster to go outside, but does anyone who has the 2006 or newer know if that switch is the same thing as a remote switch? Hopefully I won't have to make one.

Thanks

Bob
hardybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:34 AM   #12

I installed this home-grown remote switch today. I routed the cat5 cable from the inverter, through the water heater box, and up the wall where it is not at all visable since I was able to tuck it neatly into the corner. I mounted a switch on the bottom of of the "tv cabinet" where I can nudge it with my toe without getting out of bed right after shutting off the tv and before shutting off the lights for the night. I positioned it so it's also easy to reach while standing in the aisle.

Total modification to my RT: a single 1/4" hole drilled to route the cable out of the water heater box and up the wall. I'm not particularly handy but this was easy. Total investment: about $6 and one hour of my time.

I almost bought the APSRM4 remote panel/switch before I saw this post, so many thanks to Markopolo for saving me $100-$150!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Default Re: Tripp Lite Inverter/Charger - How to make a remote switc

Here's a link that shows how to build your own remote with indicator led's.

http://www.roadtrekchapter.org/mods/tri ... -ctrl.html
Old 08-16-2020, 05:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Here's a link that shows how to build your own remote with indicator led's.

http://www.roadtrekchapter.org/mods/tri ... -ctrl.html
Anyone have the pics? The album now returns a 404.

Or a pinout for the APSRM4 itself?

I need an on/off switch as well as auto/charge only. Don’t really care about the LEDs.
Cptdondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:09 PM   #15

Of course I found the diagram as soon as I posted.

Roadtrek Modifications/ Mods, Upgrades, and Gadgets.: Replacing the Standard Remote Switches for Patio Lights, Water Heater, and Inverter to Illuminated Switches

Turns out there is no “off” for the remote panel.
Cptdondo is offline   Reply With Quote